Blog Overview:

Overview:
Speech is a powerful tool that can be used to persuade, defend, communicate, manipulate, and more. Either the words being spoken, the tone and enthusiasm that they're spoken with, or both can be used to intrigue listeners. Politicians often use strategies to gain support of those who won't necessarily agree with the actual words being spoken. Poets, on the other hand, may convince readers without spoken word and simply through the elegance of their writing. Slam poetry, however, is arguably the most influential form of speech. When talented speakers convey powerful language, they seem to create the most impact. This blog will explore the influences of speeches in shaping history; specifically, the significance of poetry in bringing about change.

Questions being discussed in this blog...
What characteristics do persuasive speakers have? How has speech influence the course of history? How do politicians use speech to convey ideas and gain support? How has poetry been used to bring about change? Is speech a more powerful weapon than those that kill?

Thursday, December 4, 2014

First Steps

This week I've taken some of the first steps on my 20% time project. My proposal outlines the first few steps. Last week I contacted Rick, a Vermonter and wonderful poet, who agreed to mentor me and give me advice for the poetry contest. We've set up a meeting to further discuss my plan. This will take place next week. In addition, I worked on writing an outline of the website that I'll be setting up. I will be bringing this outline to Silas, who will be helping me in getting the website up and running smoothly. The outline is a rough draft, but I'm currently working on going into greater detail. I've written the prompt for the poetry contest and I'd like to have Rick edit it next week. Overall, my project is coming along as planned. I will have the website up by the end of the month and I plan to contact further resources within the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment